Favre-Leuba

Favre-Leuba AG

Niklaus-Konradstrasse 25/27
4500 Solothurn
Switzerland

March 13, 1737 was a date that Le Locle placed on the map of the Horology World, unlike it was ever before. It is on this day that the first archive document states that Abraham Favre was a watchmaker with his own workshop. It was his son, also under the name Abraham Favre, who perfected the art and took the passion of his father into a business known today. In 1792, Abraham Favre, together with his two sons Frederic & amp; Henry-Louis, the company A.Favre & amp; Fils. From the outset, Abraham Favre focused on improving the technology of his watches, its characteristics at different temperatures, and the materials used in watch making, resulting in more reliable and precise movements. This made it possible that many watches were so far ahead of their time

Henry-Augustus, the son of Frederic Favre and Abraham Favre’s grandson, extended this family business into distant markets. The fourth Generation Favre member worked with Auguste Leuba, a member of a family of watchmakers and merchants, to create the brand name Favre-Leuba in 1815. They traveled across different countries, from Germany to Russia, from Cuba to the United States, from Brazil to Chile and many more. The 19-year-old Henry-Augustus took this family to the world market and made Favre-Leuba known as we know it today.

Fritz Favre, who married Adele-Fanny Leuba in 1855, was a worthy successor when he took the business to many other countries across Europe, America and Asia. He participated in various national and international exhibitions, such as the Universal Exhibition in London in 1851, the New York Fair in 1853, and also won many awards for the brand. It was his children, a part of the sixth generation of Favre’s, who were able to strengthen the brand in different markets, especially when Europe was facing difficult times. India became a very important market for Favre-Leuba and this was the first Swiss company in the industry to establish itself in the country.

Henry A Favre, born in 1908, part of the seventh generation, grew and developed the business by establishing offices and representing representatives in South America, Africa, the Middle East, Far East and Europe. Together with his father and other predecessors from the sixth generation, he was responsible for the launch of many iconic pieces, as we know today.

Around the year 1925, Favre-Leuba produced a single button chronograph and created the Reverso mechanism in 1940. Under this team, the company has made many remarkable innovations that make the FL101 movement made in 1951 remarkable. In 1957, they designed their automatic calibers, FL103 & amp; 104. 1960 to 1968 was the golden era for Favre-Leuba. The new FL251 caliber, an extra flat, twin barrel with a central second hand and a 50-hour reserve, was launched in 1962.

In 1962 the hand-held wristwatch, Bivouac, which was the first mechanical watch with altimeter & amp; Aneroid barometer was started. Paul-Emile Victor was one of the first to meet this piece during his Antarctic expedition, while Michel Vaucher & Walter Bonatti used it at the Summit of the Grandes Jorasses in the Alps.

1964 saw another great introduction, one of the first dive watches, Deep Blue, waterproof up to 200m. It was the same team that was responsible for the introduction of the famous Bathy in 1968, the first mechanical watch that not only showed the dive time and duration, but also measured the dive depth exactly

In 1968, Favre-Leuba added an automatic winding to its breakthrough double barrel caliber, making it one of the first brands to use this combination in serial production. The new movements were available with or without a calendar function.

Florian A Favre & amp; Eric A Favre, sons of Henry A Favre together with Frederic A Favre, grandson of Fritz-Augustus Favre, represented the eight generation. They were the board of directors of Favre-Leuba, until the management of the company went out of the hands of the esteemed family.

Renowned for its pioneering spirit, creativity, artistic watchmaking and a spirit of innovation, which is displayed by all members over 8 generations, has made this brand name what it is today.

The challenge created by the relatively cheap quartz movement introduced in 1969 increased the competition for the comparatively expensive mechanical watches of the company.

As a result, the family sold the company, which went through various hands such as Benedom SA and LVMH. On November 16, 2011, Titan Company Limited, the Tata Group’s watchmaking company, acquired INDIA’s prestigious Favre-Leuba brand.

Favre-Leuba Swiss Watches website