Richemont International S.A.
International Watch Co., also known as IWC, is a luxury Swiss watchmaker in Schaffhausen, Switzerland and was founded in 1868 by the American watchmaker Florentine Ariosto Jones.
IWC Schaffhausen is remarkable for the only major Swiss watch factory in Eastern Switzerland, as the majority of the well-known Swiss watchmakers are located in western Switzerland. The lingua franca of IWC is German.
In 1868, an American engineer and watchmaker founded Florentine Ariosto Jones (1841-1916), the director of E. Howard & amp; Co. was the American watch company in Boston, then America’s leading watch company, with the intention of combining the craftsmanship of the Swiss with the modern engineering technology from the USA for the production of movements and watch parts for the American market. “At this time, wages in Switzerland were relatively low, though there was a rich supply of skilled watchmaking, which was mainly carried out by people in their homes. Jones encountered opposition to his plans in French-speaking Switzerland because people were concerned about their work Fearing “the work they were doing at home because Jones wanted to open a factory.
In 1850 the city of Schaffhausen was in danger of being left behind in the industrial age. At this stage, watchmaker and industrialist Johann Heinrich Moser built the first hydroelectric power plant in Schaffhausen and laid the foundation for future industrialization. “He probably met with FA Jones in Le Locle and showed great interest in his plans. Together they laid the foundation for the only watch maker in northeastern Switzerland: the International Watch Company in Schaffhausen.
IWC Schaffhausen Swiss Watches website