Richemont International S.A.
Chemin du Tourbillon 10
The company was founded in 1755 by Jean-Marc Vacheron, an independent watchmaker in Geneva, Switzerland. In 1770, his company created the first complication, and nine years later he designed the first motor dials.
The son of Jean-Marc Vacheron, Abraham, took over the family business in 1785. During this time the company survived the French Revolution (1789-1799). Later, in 1810, Jacques-Barthélemy Vacheron, the grandson of the founder, became the head of the company. He was the first to initiate the company’s exports to France and Italy. Later Jacques-Barthélemy realized that he was not able to handle his business alone. To travel overseas and sell the company’s products, he needed a partner. Consequently, 1866 François Constantin became a shareholder of Vacheron. The company continued its activities under the name Vacheron & amp; Constantine. François Constantin traveled around the world and marketed watches. This helped the company to tap new markets. The main market was North America. The motto of the company “Better, if possible and always possible”, first appeared in Constantine’s letter to Jacques-Barthélémy. The letter was dated July 5,
In 1833, Vacheron and Constantin Georges-Auguste Leschot rented. Its task was to monitor the production sites. Leschot was an inventor and his creations proved successful for the company. His inventions had a great influence on the watch industry in general. He was the first person to standardize movements in Caliber. In 1844 Georges-Auguste Leschot was awarded a gold medal. The Arts Society of Geneva appreciated his pantograph device, a device capable of mechanically engraving small watch parts and dials. Later, after the death of Constantin in 1854 and the death of Vacheron in 1863, the company was taken over by a number of heirs. At one point, the company was run by two women.
In 1862, Vacheron Constantin became a member of the Association for the Study of Nonmagnetic Materials. In 1885, the company created the first non-magnetic watch, which contained a complete range of materials that could withstand magnetic fields. Its design included a balance wheel, balance spring and lever stem, made of palladium, the lever arms in bronze and the curse wheel were made in gold. In 1877 “Vacheron & Constantin, Fabricants, Geneve” became the official name of the company. In 1880, Vacheron & amp; Constantin with the Maltese cross as a symbol, which still does it from 2016. This was inspired by a part of the barrel, which had a cross shape and was used to limit the tension within the mainspring.
Advertising from 1896 to promote their observation studies results
In 1887, Vacheron & amp; Constantin reorganized to a stock company. For the remarkable achievements of the company, it was awarded a gold medal at the Swiss National Fair in Geneva in 1887. Fabergés 1887 Third Imperial egg contained a Vacheron Constantin Lady’s watch as a surprise.
The first boutique in Geneva was opened in 1906 by Vacheron Constantin. This shop is now on Quai de l’Ile. During the Great Depression, Vacheron & amp; Constantin in a difficult situation. Charles Constantin became the head of the company in 1936, the first time since the 1850s that a representative of the family Constantin President of Vacheron & Constantin.
In 1979 Vacheron made Constantin Kallista, one of the most expensive wrist watches. Its original price was $ 5 million, but today the watch is estimated at about $ 11 million. Kallista had 118 emerald diamonds. It took about 6,000 hours for the watchmaker to make this watch and about 20 months for jewelers to enrich the clock.
Vacheron Constantin Swiss Watches website